1. Notice more. Grow your awareness (of money, needs, expenses, what’s coming, what’s working, where gaps are…). Know where you stand.
2. Give more than you have to. Practice up-serving not just “up-selling,” (exceed your customer’s expectations). Grow your impact on customers. The quickest way to get a raise is to give your customers and your company a raise through your performance.
3. Grow your profit per sale/account. Provide more value to the customer at an even lower cost to your company. Customers are assets, invest in them constantly.
4. Grow your ability to deliver value. Increase your possibilities (available credit, experts, investors, colleagues, partners, advisors, connections and ways to connect). Grow your technology. The better your tools, the better your results. Seek resources which can speed or refine your ability to deliver value.
5. Grow your existing markets. Do more business with current customers and further penetrate each market. Up-Serve them, give them more than they expected.
6. Grow your inner circle (your closest contacts). Take extra good care of the primary people in your career. Help them grow. Acknowledge them often. They’ll become even better resources for you.
7. Grow your virtual work force. Find talent that can expand your capabilities without increasing your payroll expenses. Form strategic alliances and connect with expert vendors and colleagues.
8. Grow new markets. Get outside your usual channels. Ask, “who else could benefit from what we do?” Expand your thinking.
9. Let others sell for you. Grow your referrals. Make it easy for them to help you. Seek new testimonials and endorsements. Capture examples of how others have benefited from what you do.
10. Serve your community. Be a responsible citizen. Make the places where you live and work better because you and your business are there.
11. Grow your industry. Advance the craft in what you do. Join your industry association. Volunteer to help where you can. Write articles, teach others, and support your profession.
©2011 Jim Cathcart, Thousand Oaks, CA
With 35 years experience, California-based Jim Cathcart, CSP, CPAE is recognized as one of the worlds’ best speakers. As a psychological researcher and business consultant he has helped organizations grow their sales and improve their performance in virtually every type of industry. He is the original author of Relationship Selling. Contact him at Cathcart Institute (800-222-4883,
http://www.cathcart.com”>http://www.cathcart.com or e-mail
mailto:[email protected]”>[email protected]).